The following was added last night to the FIXYOURTHINKING reference:
Recording Phone Call Laws By State
One way to avoid phone call recording laws entirely is to chat and record through instant message - most IM programs automatically keep a file on your computer. VOIP phone conversations and audio chat ARE NOT governed by these laws!
BUT ... IF YOU HAVE A PHONE NUMBER associated with your VOIP phone (IE Skype-In/Vonage #) then you must follow the same laws as a normal phone conversation.
Also know that this is a disadvantage of phone call recording websites or "circumvention numbers" - you are ONLY allowed to record calls that you initiate or are a part of or for a number that it has been pre-established that you are being recorded. Just because these "mechanisms for recording" exist doesn't mean they are legal.
A good way to look at this:
• Apple doesn't allow applications in the App Store and AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint do not promote such "circumvention" because it is illegal.
• There ARE applications for the iPhone though if you jailbreak your iPhone.
• Because you own a gun doesn't mean you can shoot and kill a person.
• You can shoot and kill a person. It is against the law.
• You can shoot and kill a person in self defense.