My wife received this letter two weeks ago regarding "changes" to our AT&T account. The "changes" appear to be rate increases due to dropping discounts. Here's the text of the letter:
Regarding Changes To Your Wireless Account
Ref. Account Number(s):
Dear [MY WIFE],
We'd like to inform you of an effort we're making to help us better serve you. Effective August 2009, we will be converting your wireless account(s) to a new national billing platform. You can continue to use your current device(s), features and services. The following explains the changes which will impact your account:
• You will see some slight differences in how charges are displayed on your invoice.
• You will be assigned a new billing account number. It will appear on your first bill after conversion.
• You will receive a new payment remittance address (known as a "lockbox"). Your new lockbox address will appear on your first bill after conversion.
• Accounts Payable information may need to be updated, particularly if you use an automated purchasing system.
• Your Monthly Service Discount which you receive due to a qualified company affiliation will apply to the monthly service charge of the primary wireless number only. It does not apply for add-a-line plans.
• If you receive a Monthly Service Discount, it will be applied after all other discounts have been processed.
• Some features, discounts and promotions may no longer be available after conversion.
If you have any questions regarding this notice, please call 611 or 1-800-331-0500 and mention conversion letter code SE6CONVL3. Thank you for choosing AT&T as your wireless provider. We appreciate your business.
If I'm reading this correctly; this will effectively increase my bill $43.80 a month and my bill will rise to $247.70 after taxes.
[UPDATE] CONFIRMED: My bill went from $198.70 (last month) to $240.67 this month - no extra charges for anything else.