Since I stopped posting around the internet a few months back, in order to make more time for this BLOG, I haven't had much that I thought I would need to discuss outside the Mac Business community.
I feel as if it is my duty to discuss the Terri Schiavo situation and ask for your support and insight into the matter.
I am really tired of all the helpless, invalid pictures I have seen circulating of Terri Schiavo ... this is her (disabled and in the same state she remains today) just a few years ago.
The story has been updated for grammar errors and with a few more points. If interested go back and read again. I will continue to update the story as the weekend progresses ... let me know if you find any errors. See the comments section for someone who takes exception to Terri's right to life.
What I don't understand ... why there is any one who is FIGHTING for or giving fodder to the notion ... "Terry should die"!
I am not placing this story in to the FixYourThinking story archives ... so I am pasting the original story here:
I realize this is a major departure from normal content circulating the Mac News web. I'm not writing this story for attention to this site. I feel as if the Mac Community is betraying Terri Schiavo, in some aspects. With the Mac Community's ability to spread information and assistance quickly, why has no one prominent in our community, or even the technology sector, said something about this?
I will update this story with more eloquence, as I have the time, over the weekend. Please feel free to go to the comments section and give your thoughts about this situation ... maybe I can integrate them into the full, finished story.
Bullet points for us to consider:
• Terry Schiavo's parents could be Mac owners ... if we mobilized to help. I don't know what they use now. Our compassion could be an opportunity and certainly as much good publicity as the Tsunami Relief Effort. (Apple was recognized as being a ringleader in online charity fundraising)
• Instead of providing your opinion for what you think should happen ... what is your opinion on what you would do if this were your daughter or your wife?
• If she were a Catholic (which the parents are devout), asking to be put to death by her husband, if in this state, would go against her religion. The Catholic church could not absolve her. I do not believe this way, but Catholics are pretty clear about the consequences of suicide and assisted suicide.
• If we go by law ... she had no power of attorney in Micheal Schiavo as he was in breach of the contract of marraige (which is a legally binding attainment)
He has two children by another woman = adultery
- He is living in the other woman's house while still legally married to Terri = adultery
- He is common law married to a second woman = polygamy (illegal in Florida)
- He has revoked his rights to carry out any ORAL agreement he may have had with Terri.
• Why hasn't anyone thought of arresting Terri Schiavo? It is illegal to commit suicide, because it is attempted murder. If she told her husband to disconnect her without writing it into a living will ... then it is suicide, possibly even homocide on Mr. Schiavo's part. To make a such a form of death legal ... it MUST BE WRITTEN DOWN and signed by the Power of Attorney related to your estate. A friend of mine works at the local hospital. She says, that after failed suicide attempts complete counseling, therapy, and a hospital stay ... they must appear in front of a judge. Unlike, homicides you are not given a court hearing and arraignment on charges, but you are CONVICTED and it IS placed on your criminal record.
• Some people are saying she is brain dead and can't feel anything ... I find it hard to believe that ANY brain doesn't know it's hungry for sustainance. After all, she saw the feeding tube removed. I have seen recent video where she was brought balloons ... her eyes tracked the balloons and a vague smile went across her face. This says to me; she is aware.
• Some people are also making the argument that we are prolonging her misery by keeping her alive. Wait, if she can't feel anything from the feeding tube being removed, how is she then in misery from being alive.
• If her parents are willing to take care of her and Mr. Schiavo can valiantly say he tried to live out her wishes .. why does he persist? Bill O'Reilly has made this point on his website and other media outlets. I believe this is now just being done out of hate for Terry's parents.
• If scientists found something as alive as Terri Schiavo on Mars we would spend billions, if not trillions to bring it back to earth to study it and keep it alive. Look at all the billions that is flowing in to Mars research since scientists found out what they thought might be a single cell organism's remains.
• Concerning judges ... for those that are ON the side of Think Secret, and disagree with the judge's decision that The Powerpage and AppleInsider must reveal the sources of the "Asteroid" leak ... aren't you tired of judges around the country making law? Judges don't make laws ... they are to enforce them. They don't interpret the law; they are to enforce the law. The people vote ... state & federal CONGRESS make laws; not judges.
• Some people argue this falls under the Bill Of Attainder in Artcle I Section 9 of the Constitution.
Bill of Attainder
Definition: A legislative act that singles out an individual or group for punishment without a trial.
There is no punishment, there is no trial involved here.
A law could be made as a result of an individual so that the precedent is set and the problem/burden of the justice system; does not persist.
• Recently, a convicted murderer was taken off death row just hours before his execution. The reasoning was; that at the time of his sentencing, he wasn't capable of understanding that he would die. Terri Schiavo has committed no crime, yet we are letting Mr. Schiavo and activist judges sentence her to death? And not to mention, without putting her to sleep ... just starving her?
• Some in favor of keeping Terri alive say that, "... there is always the possibility she will recover if cared for properly and was under the right supervision." Does that statement remind you of a company we all know and love?
• If one positive thing has come out of this; it is to make sure you have a concise will and testament that includes a living will. It is very important.
Another point to ponder (a little bit of a stretch):
Even a plant will indicate it is in trauma if not fed correctly. Rose bushes will even bend in real time, towards water, if in need. I have watered roses that had not been watered, in a hot dry summer for days, and actually seen them bend completely away from the sun, in real time. They even shook like they were blowing in the wind ... even though the wind was calm. Roses are not considered intelligent beings, but they have immense impact on human emotions at Valentine's Day, they are a part of ecosystems that help us breathe, and they provide purpose. Terri hasn't doesnt provide any purpose?
Is Terri not at the very least; living as rose? Metaphor intended.
Are we so desensitized to the beauty and purpose of life that it takes 100's of thousands to die, such as in the recent tsunami, for us to care? One life isn't just as important as many?
Quoting the Declaration of Independence...
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
You do not have the right to die ... you do not have the right to kill yourself or take your life. You do not have the right to kill someone or even assist them them to die, even if it is their own choosing.
The reasoning behind this is ... you were born in this country to provide purpose and continuity. You break that covenant by killing someone (or yourself). You also cost our justice system in man power, time, and resources. I'd also point out the unnecessary weight on human hearts; a death has.
Why have no women's rights groups come forward? Why has no corporation with a conscious come forward? Why has NO wealthy doctor, that might want to try an experimental therapy on her, come forward?
FixYourThinking readers, please call your state representatives and tell them you are upset and want Terri to live or at the very least be put to sleep humanely. She isn't even being given the respect of an animal shelter dog at this point.